© End the Lie. Please Distribute Freely.
It’s been two weeks since I wrote my first piece for End the Lie about Fukushima being a possible mass extinction event, and still no progress to report.
Although, there was a somewhat promising appeal made on April 30, when seventy-two Japanese Non-Governmental Organizations sent an urgent request to the United Nations and Japanese government urging immediate action to stabilize the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Unit 4 spent nuclear fuel. The letter was also endorsed by numerous nuclear experts.
The letter warned the UN and Japanese government that if an earthquake or other event were to cause this pool to drain, a catastrophic radiological fire could ensue.
The letter urged the United Nations to organize a Nuclear Security Summit to take up the crucial problem.
The letter stated that the United Nations should establish an independent assessment team, and coordinate international assistance to stabilize reactor 4′s spent fuel pool in order to prevent a radiological release with potentially catastrophic consequences.
Letters were sent to both UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, the latter asking that Japan ask immediately for the UN’s help.
So that’s good news.
Now, we just have to wait for the UN to have a meeting about it, form some committees, investigate, send a team to Japan, schedule another meeting, go over the committee results, then maybe form some more committees, go over more results, then send a response, and then finally implement a plan of action, if that is what they even decide to do in the end.
And of course all that is dependent on if the spent fuel pool hasn’t fractured, fallen, caught fire, or exploded by then.
For a “downwinder” of a spent fuel pool fire or explosion and large scale radiological release (or in the case of Fukushima, a “northern hemisphere resident”) you will need anywhere from 2 weeks to a 2 year supply of food, water, toiletries, medications, diapers, pet food, and a designated area for pets to go to the bathroom inside your shelter, among many other things.
The amount of time spent sheltering in will vary greatly on a wide array of variables, such as, how long it takes to put the nuclear fuel fire out, or burn itself out.
That being said, nuclear fuel is essentially “a fire that never stops burning.”
Don’t worry about stockpiling gas, you won’t be going anywhere. That is of course if you lack the financial resources to leave everything behind and bug out to the southern hemisphere.
It may be advisable to have weapons in case your neighbors run out of supplies, and want yours.
So essentially, you will need all the same things you would for a collapse of the economy, it’s just that you won’t be able to go outside.
As a downwinder, one of the only differences in your “shelter” will be the further down you go into the ground, the better off you will be due to gamma rays.
And speaking of gamma rays, in Arnie Gundersen’s recent interview with KGO Radio, he said in regards to spent fuel pool 4:
Gamma rays inside reactor 2
“Let’s assume that it didn’t fall, but went dry a hundred feet in the air, it would be a beacon, but instead of a beacon of light, it would be a beacon of radiation, and bathe the site in high levels of radiation. That’s not something that you want because it would make work on other units darn near impossible…The gamma rays, forget the particles that get caught in your lungs, but the gamma rays would go up and bounce off air molecules and come down as a shine of radiation over the site, and it would go right through those suits and the guys would be exposed from the ‘sky shine’ …”
So let’s talk about that for a minute.
When I wrote my first piece for End the Lie “Fukushima is falling apart: are you ready?” I withheld some important information. Sort of like Tepco always does. They feed you little bits of information here and there, because they knew you couldn’t take it all at once.
The real danger with this precarious spent fuel pool situation is not just the spent fuel pool in reactor 4. It’s all the reactors, and all the spent fuel pools, including the granddaddy common spent fuel pool which is only about 50 meters from reactor 4.
If the spent fuel pool goes up, the radiation release would be so high that the workers would have to abandon the site, which means no one is holding the hoses watering down everything and keeping it from going up in one giant fire or explosion or radioactive cloud of death.
If the wind blows south to the Daini Plant, they would have to abandon that site. If blows north to Onagawa, they would have to abandon that site, and so on and so on.
Need some verification of this?
Japan’s former Ambassador to Switzerland, Mr. Mitsuhei Murata, was invited to speak at the Public Hearing of the Budgetary Committee of the House of Councilors on March 22, 2012, on the Fukushima nuclear power plants accident.
Before the Committee, Ambassador Murata strongly stated that if the crippled building of reactor unit 4 – with 1,535 fuel rods in the spent fuel pool 100 feet (30 meters) above the ground – collapses, not only will it cause a shutdown of all six reactors but will also affect the common spent fuel pool containing 6,375 fuel rods, located some 50 meters from reactor 4.
In both cases the radioactive rods are not protected by a containment vessel. Indeed, they are open to the air, which is quite dangerous.
This would certainly cause a global catastrophe like we have never before experienced.
He stressed that the responsibility of Japan to the rest of the world is immeasurable. Such a catastrophe would affect us all for centuries.
Ambassador Murata informed us that the total number of the spent fuel rods at the Fukushima Daiichi site excluding the rods in the pressure vessel is 11,421 (396+615+566+1,535+994+940+6375).
As the eminent German physicist Dr. Hans-Peter Durr said ten months ago, if the spent fuel pool spills, we will be in a situation where science never imagined we could be.
And Former U.N. adviser Akio Matsumura – whose praises have been sung by Mikhail Gorbachev, was told that if the fuel pool at unit 4 collapses or the water spills out, so much radiation will spew out for 50 years that no one will be able to approach Fukushima.
It gets, if you can believe it, just a little worse. Because you see, if no one in the path of this plume can leave their houses, or go to school, or go to work and of course some of us work – you guessed it – at nuclear plants in the United States and in Canada and in Europe.
Well, I’m sure you can see where that is heading.
The other option is, that our wonderful sources of nuclear power could all be shut down in advance, which means you’d be smart to add all the items you could possibly need for 2 weeks to 2 years without electricity to your supply list.
Or, make a reservation at your friendly neighborhood FEMA camp instead. This is the reality of our choice to let nuclear power into our lives. And you thought we were FUBAR just from the one little spent fuel pool?
Albert Einstein said that nuclear power would eventually kill its users. It appears Einstein was right again.
Whatever sense of urgency you had about this situation in the past few weeks, multiply that by 104 or so, if not more.
Call, post, email, protest, and do whatever it takes to get someone to listen.
In the meantime mitigate for radiation exposure, and keep sending pictures of mutated flowers, trees, fruit, and vegetables.
Economic collapse would be a walk in the park in comparison to what humanity is facing with Fukushima. At least, you could have one there if you wanted to. Just don’t pick the mutated dandelions.
Please send mutation images to firstname.lastname@example.org. Shoot at the highest resolution possible, and include your name, location, and date the mutation was found, for proper credit if the images are published. If it is from store-bought produce, include the location where it was grown and purchased. The more information you provide, the better you will be helping the rest of us.
Please help Christina purchase a spectrometer in order to get the most accurate radiation readings and thus get you the most precise information possible by shopping through her Amazon link or donate directly via PayPal email@example.com. Keep in mind, this is expensive equipment and it is the only way that specific isotope readings can be obtained from food items.
Minor editing by Madison Ruppert
Christina Consolo is a former clinical researcher supervisor with NIH credentialing; a former Member-at-Large for the Board of Directors, Ophthalmic Photographers’ Society; A peer reviewer for the Journal of Ophthalmic Photography; She has written, published, and contributed to numerous scientific research in retinal imaging and ophthalmogy for the past 24 years; She is also an award-winning biomedical photographer and maintains several websites to teach people about radiation, mitigation, and other nuclear issues. She is also the host of “Nuked Radio” Tuesdays & Thursdays from 12-1:00 pm EST on the Orion Talk Radio Network.
Special to CollapseNet
Online debate about Fukushima intensifies as problems at the site continue and fallout spreads. As I mentioned here, the mainstream media largely remain silent and Japanese officials release information in confusing bits. Only the German and Russian media offer regular coverage of this crisis. The information vacuum is otherwise filled by denial or reassuring complacency on the one hand – and online speculation, fear and conspiracy theories on the other. As nuclear poisons move east-to-west culturally, and west-to-east geographically, Fukushima becomes a local issue in North America, not just a Japanese issue. Each new local culture reshapes Fukushima in its own image. The very real danger is accompanied by a completely separate issue – the way in which that danger is perceived, discussed and interpreted.
In this post, I referred to a friend’s observation that there are competing cultures of truth in the world. He commented that different societies have different ways of grappling with, debating about, and presenting reality. A nuclear worker who spoke anonymously to the Asia Pacific Journal (Hat tip: ENE News): “You know, in Japan, there is ‘honne’ (honest feeling) and ‘tatemae’ (polite-face). Our tatemae is that we are doing our utmost to stop the leakage of contamination, and our [honne] is that we are dumping massive amounts of contaminated water into the ocean.”
Hirabayashi (a Japanese filmmaker who directs TV commercials for his living) turned to a more traditional form of Japanese art in his quest to express his feelings about the radiation leaking from the Fukushima Daiichi plant. The numbers contained in the title of his film (663114) have a dark significance:
- The first two digits (66) stand for the 66 years that have elapsed since the United States dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
- The next three digits (311) stand for the date of the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami.
- The final digit (4) refers to the number of nuclear reactors that were affected in the Fukushima Daiichi disaster.In 663114, the dark waves of the tsunami are frightening and yet, when the cicada reemerges from the wreckage and radiation, it has undergone a severe mutation which has given it wings of rare beauty. Hirabayashi’s short is an exquisite example of how art can explain nature with a depth and poetry that live footage of a disaster can never match.”
The Economist did a piece on less staid post-Fukushima Japanese art from guerrilla artists in the ChimPom collective. Before Fukushima, they were doing things like blowing up Louis Vuitton handbags with claimed landmines. After Fukushima, they revel in an artistic message (see here) of open conflict against Japan’s “imaginary reality” and placid stability. Terrible tensions generated by this disaster are focused inwardly within the culture. There are rumours of awful secrets beneath Japan’s surface calm: there is unconfirmed online talk of stressed and fatalistic Fukushima workers roaming the streets of Iwaki City in their time off and raping schoolgirls; and there are many reports of a wave of suicides.
As the fallout threat mounts in North America, a Fukushima narrative expands beyond the Japanese sphere. Surely, three total meltdowns, with three explosions at Fukushima Daiichi Reactors #1, #3 and #4, involving global radioactive fallout, would at least warrant a weekly update from CNN? Or Fox? Or Bloomberg? Or BBC America? Or PBS? Or other mainstream networks or newspapers? No. Apparently not.
Since regular comprehensive MSM coverage is lacking, how does one understand the Internet’s mix of nuclear fact and fiction? One online English-language source of Fukushima updates, ENE News (to which I have linked several times), provides a daily digest of links from verified news, governmental and mainstream sources. It is a valuable service, but there is no indication on the site of who runs it. It also intersperses legitimate news links with opinion from a repeating set of experts and bloggers, who are as honestly concerned as they are anti-nuclear in bias. It is also not clear how much they actually know about the facts on the ground in Fukushima, and how much is based on their well-intentioned, but perhaps ill-informed, assumptions. Hence, the question arises:
- Who is behind ENE News? This question was asked, and not answered, on Berkeley’s Nuclear Engineering school message board; and reproduced at the Canadian blog Exposing Faux Capitalism.
Here are a few recent headlines and online rumours which feed mounting concerns:
- 11 May 2012: Nuclear engineer and critic Fairewinds commentator Arnie Gundersen has been hitting the American radio talk circuit. He comments: “I’m telling my friends on the [US] west coast, you gotta watch it like a hawk everyday get up and make sure Unit 4 is standing… if it’s not, have a plan B to move somewhere.” On 4 May 2012, he said: “Move south of equator if Unit 4 fuel pool goes dry.”
- 10 May 2012: Purdue Unversity and the University of Notre Dame are getting portions of $2.5 million to further nuclear research projects. [One wonders if that includes studying the effect of fallout on citizens.]
- 10 May 2012: 5.57 million Bq/kg of radiocesium in soil are detected in Minamisoma City in Fukushima prefecture; citizens are being moved back into the area and volunteers are cleaning out irradiated sludge with hardly any protective gear; city councilman Ooyama states, “And they’re going to do what? Spring athletic meets? Swimming pool opening? I can’t take it any more!”
- 10 May 2012: At a press conference, TEPCO reveals there are parts of Reactor #3 that its staff decided not to show to the public.
- 9-10 May 2012: Conspiracy theory message board picks up rumours (repeated here and here; original news report here) that hundreds of flight attendants who work for Alaska Airlines have been suffering from strange rashes; and their hair has been falling out. The company blames tributyl phosphate in their uniforms; conspiracy theorists blame radiation sickness from airborne Fukushima fallout.
- 7 May 2012: Peru has no answers on thousands of dead dolphins and seabirds; online, people start speculating groundlessly that this reflects Fukushima contamination of the Pacific.
Recently, one user left an epic series of Fukushima comments on ENE News. These forum remarks show how news bytes can be strung together into genuine fear over a brewing environmental apocalypse. I quoted it fully and without corrections, because it is pretty much the ultimate Fukushima message board rant (it even links to one of my posts). In this post, I am focusing on how the commenter is talking about Fukushima – over and above the facts of his or her equally serious subject matter (such as the Pacific Ocean pollution map, above, which the commenter included):
Fact 1: if Americans knew there was a highly toxic oceanic radiation plume there would be a state of panic. Military would need excess munitions to control the unruly crowds that would be trying to stock up on supplies. This being said have we seen contracts for these munitions.Fact 2: (this is very important)…Oceanic radiation / Plume dispersion models show currents carrying radiation west via the pacific drift, from the east honshui island… While these maps are publicly available. Take a look… If the initial contamination was from the march explosionsA. The currents would not continue to have grown in radioactive contamination.B. The radiation would have by now subsided, to the floor of the oceanC. The radiation would only show as only a temporary spot on the model. Which would by now have dissipated.What we are seeing is a constant Leak… (I.e. A radioactive river flowing directly into the ocean).D. If Oceanic contamination was limited to only the few leaks. And explosions: Then, Why on earth was this reported In August? “China Finds 100,000 SQ Miles of Radiation In Pacific Ocean Up 300 Times Higher Than Normal”Wouldn’t the dispersion of the elements show minimal contamination levels at this point?Fact 3: The company tepco would have no need for a barrier onsite. Why build in a rush what you do not need.How long has the need been a relevant issue… ? Are there any other indications that the aquatic radiation releases are plaguing the pacific Ocean?Tepco to begin coating seafloor with cement mixture (PHOTOS)If the sea floor were cemented wouldn’t this “trap” the radiation. Meaning there would be no need for a barrier? (use intelligence here).Fact 4 as reported by Fukushima daily, cement was drilled in Dec 2011 showing high gamma levels. The image released to the public spectrum was a cement sample with obvious yellow sediment attached to it.This was Yellow cake uranium. Which could only have came from a sample of concrete that had direct contact to corium on site. (I.e. The primary containment )
More sources:DEC 20th 2011. The containments are Melting like honeycomb.Fact : The steam from reactor1’s basement.
This is an obvious sign of fission.With minimal onsite power, an electrical fire within the reactor would be highly unlikely… SO IF this is not a candidate for a heat signature below the unit 1 reactor; Could a fire be the culprit?Being the lower level of the reactor is filled with 2+ meters of water this would also rule out a fire. Thus a nuclear reaction is in my opinion: The only possible candidate to create the steam plume, which was spotted on the Ground floor in Reactor 1.Sources: May 29th – 30th.Fact 6: the first injury on site in USA media was a tepco employee whom had burned his feet after entering the unit 1reactor at Fukushima. These injuries could only be a result of gamma radiation. Which penetrates up to 6 feet of masse.Fact 7: The red substance/ powder, found in Tsuruoka City, shows signatures. Of uranium oxide. The reactor1 basement is completely filled with reactor coolant (which is this same color).(The below article outlines the highly contaminated water found within the unit 1 reactors basement.).
Fact 8: (Paid shills)….You are fact  and the most important fact of all. You are a promoter hired by various Japanese interests. This is because when users hop online tepco can create a sense of damage control.Because the truth is that the reactor 1 is in a state of china syndrome. As I send this very message international pressure and monetary damages are created in your country. Your lies are exposed for what they are, tepco along with all of Japan’s stocks are effected.This the situation escalates beyond even your own intervention. Thee truth And the real news is this … Tepco and the Japanese government are broke. The more attention this post gets, the more attention the reactors get. Which is why they hired … you.In truth I know what is going on inside reactor 1. And now so does the entire glp community. International governments have been left in the dark while the united states and china are delegating your nations very evacuations.It’s no secret that the USA and china have already begun strategizing where 40 million Japanese citizens will reside. Hence the FEMA camps that were recently opened all over the united states. Yes it is all tied together.Obama is using senator wydel to ease this information into the publics attention. So that international aide and control can legally take control of this situation, without alerting the public of the real situation taking place In reactor 1. It is a Roos. A decoy. Smoke and mirrors.But I can be the first to tell you nuclear fuel melting down has a temperature much higher than steel. If reactor 1 had a steam plume coming fr the basement then it’s obvious that the 6 foot thick primary containment failed to withhold the 3500+ degree payload. It cut through the reactor like an angry samurai.That is the news. expect to see Hawaiians reporting the oceanic wildlifes contamination by July. as it truly is the next stair to this slinky. Which will also be most west coasters final warning to leave before their lives are in absolute danger. God help us. Emmy 2012
More sources:Worse than meltdown, government report says devastating ‘melt-through’ has occurred at Fukushima; Official suggests Japan could become ‘uninhabitable’A nuclear core meltdown involves nuclear fuel exceeding its melting point to the point where it damages the core, leaks out, and threatens to potentially release high levels of radiation into the environment. However, a nuclear melt-through is an even worse scenario, as nuclear fuel literally melts through the bottom of damaged reactor pressure vessels into out containment vessels — and possibly even melts through those outer vessels directly into ground, air, and water.
Note worthy:I estimated that Reactor 1 would go full on china syndrome in June 2011.On may 29th – 30 of 2011 The basement water level rose significantly As noted above.In June 2011. There were several large aerial convection releases in the unit one reactor.In august 2011. Tepco erected its tent (the main project / focus of the entire 2011 calendar year).The pieces all fit together.Reactor 4 is a huge concern.However while reading between the lines. We can clearly see that there is a much bigger problem at hand.Months later, Arctic ring seal deaths leave scientists flummoxedThe carcasses of dead pelicans still litter the beaches of northern Peru, even as the last of nearly 900 dolphins are cleared away.“A Staggering Mess” as Tsunami Debris Hits Alaska Coast EarlyJapan Gov’t Data: 65% of marine life test positive for cesium in Nov. — Average catch exceeds new radiation limits @ 111 Bq/kg
I am no longer accepting donations. (fyi).
It was never about money. I never made a dime.
It detracts from the point.
p.s.I was supposed to upload this on http://www.Godlikeproductions.com, If you type In the searchbox. It is the thread called “Fukushima real news”I was banned before I could repeat this information. So if someone could please update the thread copying and pasting the posts above into the reply field. I would gladly apprecieate it. As I was banned this morning.Its obvious that the government does not want this information in the public realm.
Ty and cheers.
Not to detract from the poster’s passion and genuine cause for worry, but I’m not sure the US Government has much to do with banning people from the Millennial conspiracy forum, Godlike Productions. At any rate, this epic rant establishes that Fukushima is based in grim reality; but, in the absence of decent reporting, popular worries can be easily veer off toward North America’s Millennial apocalyptic fears.
Fukushima has entered the Wild West that is the American World Wide Web, and is reevaluated in terms of its cultures of truth. Negotiating that online frontier is an art in itself, with its overlapping armageddons, pitched battles between science and religion, alienated liberties, frayed social consciences, huge political rifts, secret and open alliances, and can-do activisms. A very real crisis is being filtered through the Millennial 2012 phenomenon and other pre-existing North American preoccupations, obsessions and blind spots.
- Is Fukushima being politicized during an American election year? Due to media silence, there has been some confusion among the general public on how Fukushima will be politically branded and rebranded. How does a political faction own an issue such as Fukushima, or seize control of it for the purposes of political capital?
- In Canada, the CBC takes a liberal-left view, mainly aiming to preserve the Global Warming hypothesis. Here is the CBC coverage of Fukushima. Canada’s national broadcasting corporation treats the problem as foreign and localized; its writers sporadically add some human interest stories. Occasionally, CBC reporters, in colonial style, redigest some British press coverage – or rework some American reports. There’s a bit of pondering: “Was the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant a game changer for the nuclear industry?” No, its commentators conclude: nuclear power is (pretty much) still Green. What they are actually saying with that illogical standpoint is that Climate Change is still the environmental cause du jour for the Canadian liberal-left. However, that cause is increasingly embattled by the all-too-real Nuclear Meltdown, which was quickly possessed in 2011 by the populist-right. HuffPo commentary redresses that trend for American and Canadian liberal-left readers, and increasingly aims Fukushima coverage toward the liberal-left by reviving a China Syndrome- and Silkwood-esque 1970s-1980s anti-nuclear-big-business angle.
- Fears of environmental obliteration stemming from Fukushima already appealed in different ways to conservative, libertarian, religious, populist and Prepper convictions. For example, this video interview with Arnie Gundersen contains InfoWars advertisements. The video conveys a message (starting at 23:27) that Americans can use InfoWars gear to uphold the American Constitution by being informed about the ‘real truth’ on issues such as Fukushima. To an American, whether one agrees with the political sentiment or not, the ideology of liberty is unquestioned and seamless. To a non-American, the rebellious rhetoric of this great turbulent democracy is of course comprehensible, but remains culturally alien and discordant: “Express your inner Patriot with these brand new InfoWars T-shirts. … Or educate the Sheeple with the Bill of Rights shirt. Grope the public’s mind with the TSA [Transportation Security Administration] shirt. And with this shirt [INFOWARS done in Star Wars logo style] you can let the Dark Side know the Rebel Alliance is power.” One of InfoWars’ Web site decals is below. The site includes the poll question: “Do you believe government re-education camps are real and the Army plans to use them?” (At the time of writing this post, 91 per cent of site respondents said, “yes.”)
- Whether right, left, or off the charts, American and Canadian politicization of Fukushima brings other narratives and cultural arguments to bear on this nuclear crisis. Japan’s 663114 film-maker viewed Fukushima as an issue of evolution, perseverance, and endurance in spite of all natural and unnatural crises. In America and Canada, Fukushima becomes a question of different flavours of Democracy and Capitalism. Gundersen argues the one-word explanation for why international workers have not been sent in to help contain the Fukushima disaster is “money.”
- One Canadian blogger, Northerntruthseeker, betrays a taste for merging Fukushima with 9/11 Internet truthing and other anti-Semitically-flavoured conspiracy theories. The same conspiracy theories have appeared on American blogs and message boards. There are worries (couched in inverted-racist racist terms) about the Illuminati and related cabals using Fukushima to cut down the world’s excess population, especially in North America. I have talked about these and other mythologizing elements, such as the HAARP hypothesis, which do not derive from Japanese perspectives of Fukushima, here.
- Criticism and mistrust of the government is a huge Millennial theme. Government officials exacerbate popular suspicions when they say Fukushima poses no safety risks. American and Canadian governmental statements have been soothing and dismissive; in response, some environmentalist sites claim authorities are either not collecting, or hiding, fallout data: “Health Canada removed nine supplementary fixed point detectors that were installed in British Columbia and the Yukon in response to the Fukushima nuclear incident. In addition, on September 15, 2011, Health Canada ended its weekly data postings, and Website Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) data reporting. No data to compare with the levels in Canada since last report in March 20ll. Now Health Canada refers to the radiation in the atmosphere as cosmic, and reports it is just part of everyday life.” These obfuscations lead to disenchantment with the political system. Some bloggers (see also here) contend that North America has been badly polluted over the past year, and the US and Canadian governments have lied about the extent and seriousness of fallout toxicity.
- These trends have inspired popular grassroots activity. Concerned Canadian citizens have formed a radiation monitoring group, the Canadian Collaborative for Radiation Awareness and Monitoring. They cite Margaret Mead as inspiration: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” That’s not strictly true, but the sentiment is uplifting. In Portland, Oregon, families have charitably hosted Fukushima families, so they can have time away from the stress of dealing with the crisis every day.
- There are some responses behind the scenes from nuclear experts. The Canadian Radiation Protection Association is having its annual meeting of affiliated nuclear researchers and professionals at the Lord Nelson Hotel in Halifax at the end of May 2012. MIT has judged the spread and speed of the radioactive plume in Pacific waters. New Hampshire-based researchers at Dartmouth College have tested Fukushima fallout in the groundwater of that state (their publication is here).
- The Internet has its own post-political language; there is a free-for-all of online Fukushima information created by individuals with cameras and radiation detectors (see my post with links to amateur radiation detector videos here); they have produced a small media blitz for the Virtual Underground. There are: Canadian mutated dandelion vids; Michigan mutated dandelion and strawberry vids; thousands of mutated plant photos; RadChick’s ; and all-around apocalyptic blog posts and fears about the fate of the Northern Hemisphere.
- Online commenters suspect that official concern over the limping US economy prompted the government and media to play down fears over Fukushima fallout, regardless of health risks. Some bloggers believe that Fukushima is especially ‘debunked’ with regard to California and fallout reports are hushed up to protect California’s shaky economic recovery. See California fallout studies and reports: here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. California’s water, mushrooms, soft fruits, other produce and dairy products are all under scrutiny. By 2013, Gundersen believes that important fish species, such as tuna, will be contaminated and will have migrated to reach the western coast of North America.
As the fallout marches eastward geographically and westward culturally, so do the cultural reinterpretations of Fukushima. April’s headlines were dominated, nuclear-wise, by the threat that Reactor #4’s spent fuel pool potentially poses to the entire Northern Hemisphere. After initial increased complacency and calming remarks from their respective governments, nervous noises have begun in Britain and France. Fukushima is currently seen in those quarters as an American problem … but could North America “become uninhabitable for centuries”? And if so, could this fallout spread further? Is this the slow dawn of global shock in the face of irrevocable catastrophe? Or is it the cultural spin of different Millennial doomsdays? Perhaps it is both.
NOTES FOR READERS OF MY POSTS.If you’re not reading this post on Histories of Things to Come, the content may have been scraped and republished without attribution or the original author’s permission. Please let me know by following this link and leaving me a comment. Thank you.
(NaturalNews) The news you are about to read puts everything else in the category of “insignificant” by comparison. Concerned about the 2012 U.S. presidential election? Worried about GMOs? Fluoride? Vaccines? Secret prisons? None of that even matters if we don’t solve the problem of Fukushima reactor No. 4, which is on the verge of a catastrophic failure that could unleash enough radiation to end human civilization on our planet. (See the numbers below.)
The resulting releasing of radiation would turn North America into a “dead zone” for humans… mutated (and failed) crops, radioactive groundwater, skyrocketing infant mortality, an explosion in cancer and infertility… this is what could be unleashed at any moment from an earthquake in Japan. Such an event could result in the release of 85 times the Cesium-137 released by the Chernobyl catastrophe, say experts (see below). And the Chernobyl catastrophe made its surrounding regions uninhabitable by humans for centuries.
Yet, astonishingly, the usual suspects of deception are saying absolutely nothing about this problem. The mainstream media (the dying dinosaur media, actually) pretends there’s no problem with Fukushima. President Obama says nothing about it. Federal regulators, including the NRC, are all but silent. It’s as if they think their silence on the issue somehow makes it go away.
Perhaps these professional liars in the media and government have become so used to idea that they can simply spin their own reality (and get the public suckers to believe almost anything) that they now believe they can ignore the laws of physics. That’s why they have refused to cover the low-level radiation plume that continues to be emitted from Fukushima.
The fate of the world now rests on reactor No. 4
“It is no exaggeration to say that the fate of Japan and the whole world depends on No.4 reactor.” – Mitsuhei Murata, Former Japanese Ambassador to Switzerland and Senegal, Executive Director, the Japan Society for Global System and Ethics
Mr. Murata’s stunning statement should be front-page news everywhere around the world. Why? Because he’s right. If reactor No. 4 suffers even a minor earthquake, it could set off a chain reaction of events that quickly lead to North America becoming uninhabitable by humans for centuries to come. Imagine California, Oregon and Washington states being inundated with radiation — up to 85 times the radiation release from Chernobyl. We’re talking about the end of human life on the scale of continents.
Here’s how this could happen, according to Mr. Robert Alvarez, former Senior Policy Adviser to the Secretary and Deputy Assistant Secretary for National Security and the Environment at the U.S. Department of Energy:
“The No. 4 pool is about 100 feet above ground, is structurally damaged and is exposed to the open elements. If an earthquake or other event were to cause this pool to drain this could result in a catastrophic radiological fire involving nearly 10 times the amount of Cs-137 released by the Chernobyl accident. The infrastructure to safely remove this material was destroyed as it was at the other three reactors. Spent reactor fuel cannot be simply lifted into the air by a crane as if it were routine cargo. In order to prevent severe radiation exposures, fires and possible explosions, it must be transferred at all times in water and heavily shielded structures into dry casks. As this has never been done before, the removal of the spent fuel from the pools at the damaged Fukushima-Dai-Ichi reactors will require a major and time-consuming re-construction effort and will be charting in unknown waters.” (http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/forum/218/nuclear-expert-fukushima-spent-…)
Note: He says “10 times” the Cesium-137 of Chernobyl. Others say up to 85 times. Nobody is 100% certain of what would actually occur because this has never happened before. We are in uncharted territory as a civilization, facing a unique and imminent threat to our continued survival. And both governments and the corporations that assured us nuclear power was safe are playing their “cover my ass” games while the world waits in the crosshairs of a nuclear apocalypse.
To better understand the severity of this situation, read these facts about Fukushima reactor No. 4 which I have assembled from available news sources:
• Reactor #4 contains 1,535 spent fuel rods which remain highly radioactive.
• These fuel rods currently hold the potential to emit 37 million curies of radiation.
• Those fuel rods are stored in a concrete pool located 100 feet above the ground, inside the structurally compromised reactor building, effectively making the pool open to the air.
• The pool holding these fuel rods is “structurally damaged.”
• “If an earthquake or other event were to cause this pool to drain this could result in a catastrophic radiological fire involving nearly 10 times the amount of Cs-137 released by the Chernobyl accident.” – Mr. Robert Alvarez, former Senior Policy Adviser to the Secretary and Deputy Assistant Secretary for National Security and the Environment at the U.S. Department of Energy.
• “The infrastructure to safely remove this material was destroyed as it was at the other three reactors.” – Mr. Alvarez.
• Just 50 meters from reactor No. 4, a much larger pool of spent fuel rods contains 6,375 fuel rods, all of which remain highly radioactive.
• All these fuel rods are, astonishingly, exposed to the open air. They are not held inside any containment vessel.
• The total number of spent fuel rods across all six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi site is 11,421.
• If reactor No. 4 suffers a structural failure, the release of radiation from the 1,535 spent fuel rods would make it virtually impossible for work to continue on the site, potentially resulting in an inability to halt a massive radiation release from all the other rods.
• In all, the 11,421 fuel rods held at the Fukushima Daiichi facility contain roughly 336 million curies of “long-lived radioactivity.” Roughly 134 million curies of that is Cesium-137.
• “Reactors that have been operating for decades, such as those at the Fukushima-Dai-Ichi site have generated some of the largest concentrations of radioactivity on the planet.” – Mr. Robert Alvarez, U.S. Dept. of Energy
• This amount of Cesium-137 radioactivity held in the full collection of fuel rods at Fukushima is 85 times the amount released at Chernobyl.
• The release of this amount of Cesium-137 would “destroy the world environment and our civilization. This is an issue of human survival.” (http://akiomatsumura.com/2012/04/682.html)
• The mainstream media operates in a total blackout of this news, refusing to even acknowledge the existence of this immediate threat to human civilization.
• The mainstream media is, in large part, owned by General Electric, the very company that designed the Fukushima reactors in the first place. It is clear that GE is diligently running a total media blackout on this news in order to cover its own ass and prevent people from asking questions about the faulty engineering and nuclear facility site selection that led to this catastrophe.
18,000 dead so far and hundreds of millions at risk: The media cover-up
“The executive branch and multiple federal agencies, agencies tasked with keeping the American public safe, did their best to hide and to cover-up information about a deadly radioactive plume and ensuing fallout that was headed for the West Coast of the United States from Japan,” says Tony Muga. (http://theintelhub.com/2012/03/01/plume-gate-shocker-media-silence-ra…)
He goes on to state “The evidence obtained in the FOIA request indicates that right from the start, the NRC had a clear idea of the significance of the disaster that was unfolding, but concealed the truth from the American public. The results of the plume and fallout can be measured in the rise of infant mortality rates: cells of unborn and newborn children are dividing at a much higher rate than those of a mature adult, thus the amount of damage is greatly increased and hence more detectable. Conservative estimates place the number of stillborn following the Fukushima accident at over 18,000.”
See the FOIA documents here:
The conspiracy cover-up of the radioactive plumes still being emitted from Fukushima is now being called “Plume-Gate.” This issue needs to be front and center on all our radar screens. There may quite literally be nothing more important for the survival of the human race than dealing with this runaway issue of Fukushima radiation in the immediate term, and the larger issue of the scientific fraud of nuclear power “safety” thereafter.
As Muga explains, “It is this author’s opinion that any media source not shouting about Plume-Gate as loud as they can are likely controlled by the powers-that-be.” He’s got a point. This should be our No. 1 issue, and NaturalNews is re-shifting priorities right now to help raise the alarm on the impeding Fukushima disaster for the obvious reason that everything else pales in comparison to the importance of dealing with this.
Take action now
Although I hate to call for the UN to do anything at all, as it is a criminal globalist organization engaged in widespread sex slave trafficking, child abuse and mass murder, the UN definitely has some pull with governments around the world. The petition linked below calls for the UN to take immediate, decisive action to deal with Fukushima reactor No. 4 before it’s too late and we all get “Fuk’ed” beyond repair.
This petition calls for two actions:
1. The United Nations should organize a Nuclear Security Summit to take up the crucial problem of the Fukushima Daiichi Unit 4 spent nuclear fuel pool.
2. The United Nations should establish an independent assessment team on Fukushima Daiichi Unit 4 and coordinate international assistance in order to stabilize the unit’s spent nuclear fuel and prevent radiological consequences with potentially catastrophic consequences.
Here at NaturalNews, although we hold the UN in contempt for its globalist actions and crimes against humanity, we nevertheless support this particular petition and the urgent effort for the UN to actually do something positive for a change. In fact, if the UN ignores this issue, that itself would be the greatest crime of all against humanity, for failure to solve this reactor No. 4 situation could mean the end of human civilization as we know it.
NaturalNews will continue to cover this issue, especially focusing on reactor No. 4. We are reaching out to Higgins and Gunderson to conduct more interviews on this subject. Watch for more coverage here at NaturalNews.com.
Arnie Gunderson – one of the most important scientific voices of truth and reason on this issue